I was given a handout from YouthAlpha to reflect on:
If the water is our Relationship with God then who are we in this pool diagram?
- Girl in doorway — Is interested in God but allowed herself to get distracted
- Girl distracting the girl in doorway — Ignorant that God is there, just doing her own thing.
- Muscle man — Has no interest in God; can’t see or worship anyone but himself.
- White slumpy guy – Is aware of God but worried about engaging in any relationship with Him. He is in no way prepared.
- Black guy next to white slumpy guy — Is is aware of God but indifferent.
- Angry guy reading newspaper — Is aware of God and perhaps used to have a relationship with Him but because of all the suffering that happens in the world that he reads about he is angry with God and so has purposely blocked him out and decided against Him. (He’s supposed to be the lifeguard but is completely ignoring the pool)
- Multi-tasking multi-devices guy — Thought about having a relationship with God but became so distracted and too busy to do anything other than realize that God is there.
- Guy timidly putting foot in pool — Wants to have a relationship with God but is scared of what it means. He is timid, unsure, and could use a friend to encourage him into the pool. He is wearing so many floatation devices because he does not yet trust God. He’s got one toe in and is too scared to go further or deeper in relationship.
- Janitor — ??? Watching everyone else ignore or engage with God and is just waiting to clean up after people leave the pool? So he is there to clean up the mess people make after they get out of a relationship with God?? [This is the one character I don’t understand at all.]
- Shivering girl in towel — She had a relationship with God but something happened and she got scared and decided to get away from God.
- Snorkel smiley man — Happy to have God there but working on getting closer too Him.
- Diving board man — Super excited to jump into his relationship with God, but he hasn’t yet taken the leap to actually being in a relationship with Him.
- Drowning person — Decided to have a relationship with God but once in it he feels like he is drowning. [I don’t fully get this one.]
- Handstand man — Is really enjoying his relationship with God and so is trying to be fully immersed with God.
- Swimming man — Is really enjoying his relationship with God and so is actively being a part of his relationship. He is the only one using the pool to its fullest potential — because he is swimming around just enjoying all dimensions of the pool (though he is only in his own lane, so perhaps he shouldn’t restrict himself?) He has kicked off his sandals and is just lapping it up.
- Calm lady — Is really in love with God and is calm in the experience. She is content to have a personal relationship with God and so is just staying in His presence for as long as she can. But her eyes are closed and she isn’t seeing anyone else or engaging with anyone else in the pool.
I am #16 (calm lady) and am growing more towards also being #15 (swimming man). In some ways and for somethings I am like #12 (diving board man) and ready to jump more fully into relationship but haven’t done it yet. At times I risk being like #7 (multi-tasking man) — getting distracted by all the busyness of life and what gets me away from a complete relationship with God. But I’m definitely in the pool doing something.